FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist  Chat Chat  UsergroupsUsergroups  CalendarCalendar RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snowden wakes MSM up to PRISM mass warrantless surveillance
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> 9/11 & 7/7 Truth News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outsider
Trustworthy Freedom Fighter

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time 'ain't' on our side (sorry, Mick Jagger). We are getting close to the wire, and if any of us have something up our sleeves, it's time to 'start' to unleash it.
Seems to me we are 'End Game'. May the Devil take the hindmost (it's favourite part, anyhow!).

TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FULL VIDEO – Edward Snowden on German TV – US Media Blackout
Frame from Ed Snowden German Interview
This interview with Edward Snowden was blocked from US & German television networks. No major news outlets are covering this story. The video is immediately taken down every time it’s posted on Youtube.
http://nextnewsnetwork.com/news/full-video-edward-snowden-on-german-tv -us-media-blackout/

FULL TRANSCRIPT:
Interviewer: Mr. Snowden, did you sleep well the last couple of nights? Because, I was reading that you asked for a kind of police protection. Are there any threats?

Snowden: There are significant threats but I sleep very well. There was an article that came out in an online outlet called BuzzFeed where they interviewed officials from the Pentagon, from the National Security Agency and they gave them anonymity to be able to say what they wanted, and what they told the reporter was that they wanted to murder me. These individuals, and these are acting government officials, they said they would be happy, they would love to put a bullet in my head, to poison me as I was returning from the grocery store, and have me die in the shower.

Interviewer: But, fortunately, you are still alive with us.

Snowden: Right, but I’m still alive, and I don’t lose sleep because I’ve done what I feel I needed to do. It was the right thing to do. And, I’m not going to be afraid.

Interviewer: “The greatest fear I have,” and I quote you, “regarding these disclosures is nothing will change.” That was one of your greatest concerns at the time, but in the meantime there is a vivid discussion about the situation with the NSA. Not only in America but also in Germany and in Brazil, and President Obama was forced to go public and to justify what the NSA was doing on legal grounds.

Snowden: What we saw initially in response to the revelations was sort of a circling of the wagons of government around the National Security Agency. Instead of circling around the public and protecting their rights, the political class circled around the security state and protected their rights. What’s interesting is, though that was the initially response, since then we’ve seen a softening. We’ve seen the President acknowledge that when he first said “we’ve drawn the right balance, there are no abuses,” we’ve seen him and his officials admit that there have been abuses. There have been thousands of violations of the National Security Agency and other agencies, authorities, every single year.

Interviewer: Is the speech of Obama recently the beginning of a serious regulation?

Snowden: It was clear from the President’s speech that he wanted to make minor changes to preserve authorities that we don’t need. The President created a review board from officials that were personal friends, from national security insiders, former Deputy of the CIA, people who had every incentive to be soft on these programs and to see them in the best possible light. But what they found was that these programs have no value, they’ve never stopped a terrorist attack in the United States, and they have marginal utility at best for other things. The only thing that the Section 215 phone meta-data program, actually it’s a broader meta-data program of bulk collection, bulk collection means mass surveillance, program was in stopping or detecting a $8,500 wire transfer from a cab driver in California. And, it’s this kind of review, where insiders go “we don’t need these programs, these programs don’t make us safe. They take a tremendous amount of resources to run, and they offer us no value.” They go “we can modify these.” The National Security agency operates under the President’s executive authority alone. He can end, or modify, or direct a change in their policies at any time.

Interviewer: For the first time President Obama did concede that the NSA collects and stores trillions of data.

Snowden: Every time you pick up the phone, dial a number, write an email, make a purchase, travel on the bus carrying a cell phone, swipe a card somewhere, you leave a trace. And, the government has decided that it’s a good idea to collect it all. Everything. Even if you’ve never been suspected of any crime. Traditionally the government would identify a suspect, they would go to a judge, they would say we suspect he’s committed this crime, they would get a warrant and then they would be able to use the totality of their powers in pursuit of the investigation. Nowadays what we see is they want to apply the totality of their powers in advance, prior to an investigaion.

Interviewer: You started this debate. Edward Snowden is, in the meantime, a household name for the whistleblower in the age of the internet. You were working until last summer for the NSA, and during this time you collected, secretly, thousands of confidential documents. What was the decisive moment, or was there a long period of time, or something happening? Why did you do this?

Snowden: I would say sort of the breaking point is seeing the Director of National Intelligence, James Clapper, directly lie under oath to Congress. There’s no saving an intelligence community that believes it can lie to the public and the legislators who need to be able to trust it and regulate its actions. Seeing that, for me, really meant for me there was no going back. Beyond that, it was the creeping realization that no one else was going to do this. The public had a right to know about these programs. The public had a right to know that which the government is doing in its name, and that which the government is doing against the public, but neither of these things we were allowed to discuss, we were allowed no, even the wider body of our elected representatives were prohibited from knowing or discussing these programs, and that’s a dangerous thing. The only review we had was from a secret court, the FISA Court, which is a sort of rubber stamp authority.

When you are on the inside and you go into work everyday and you sit down at the desk and you realize the power you have, you can wiretap the President of the United States, you can wiretap a Federal Judge, and, if you do it carefully no one will ever know because the only way the NSA discovers abuses are from self reporting.

Interviewer: We’re not talking only of the NSA as far as this is concerned. There is a multilateral agreement for cooperation among the services and this alliance of intelligence operations is known as The Five Eyes. What agencies and countries belong to this alliance, and what is its purpose?

Snowden: The Five Eyes alliance is sort of an artifact of the post World War II era where the Anglophone countries are the major powers banded together to sort of cooperate and share the costs of intelligence gathering infrastructure.

So we have the UK’s GCHQ, we have the US NSA, we have Canada’s C-Sec, we have the Australian Signals Intelligence Directorate and we have New Zealand’s DSD. What the result of this was, over decades and decades, what sort of a supra-national intelligence organization that doesn’t answer to the laws of its own countries.

Interviewer: In many countries, as in America too, the agencies like the NSA are not allowed to spy within their own borders on their own people. So, the Brits for example, they can spy on everybody but the Brits. But, the NSA can conduct surveillance in England. So, in the very end they could exchange their data and it would be, they would be, strictly following the law.

Snowden: If you ask the governments about this directly they would deny it and point to policy agreements between the members of the Five Eyes saying that they won’t spy on each other’s citizens. But, there are a couple of key points there. One is that the way they define spying is not the collection of data. The GCHQ is collecting an incredible amount of data on British citizens, just as the National Security Agency is gathering an enormous amount of data on US citizens. What they are saying is that they will not then target people within that data. They won’t look for UK citizens or British citizens. In addition, the policy agreements between them that say British won’t target US citizens, US won’t target British citizens, are not legally binding. The actual memorandums of agreement state specifically on that that they are not intended to put a legal restriction on any government. Their policy agreements that can be deviated from or broken at any time. So if they want to spy on a British citizen, they can spy on a British citizen, and then they can even share that data with the British government that is itself forbidden from spying on UK citizens. So there is a sort of a trading dynamic there, but it’s not, it’s not open, it’s more of a nudge and wink. And, beyond that, the key is to remember the surveillance and the abuse doesn’t occur when people look at the data, it occurs when people gather the data in the first place.

Interviewer: How narrow is the cooperation of the German Secret Service BND with the NSA and the Five Eyes?

Snowden: I would describe it as intimate. As a matter of fact, the first way I described it in our written interview, was that the German Services and the US Services are in bed together. They not only share information, the reporting of results from intelligence, but they actually share the tools and the infrastructure. They work together against joint targets in services. And, there’s a lot of danger in this. One of the major programs that face abuse in the National Security Agency is what’s called “XKeyscore.” It’s a front end search engine that allows them to look through all of the records they collect worldwide every day.

Interviewer: What could you do if you would sit so to speak in their place with this kind of instrument?

Snowden: You could read anyone’s email in the world. Anybody you got an email address for, any website you can watch traffic to and from it, any computer that an individual sits at, you can watch it, any laptop that you’re tracking, you can follow it as it moves from place to place throughout the world. It’s a one stop shop for access to the NSA’s information. And what’s more, you can tag individuals using “XKeyscore.” Where, let’s say I saw you once and I thought what you were doing was interesting, or you just have access that’s interesting to me. Let’s say you work at a major German corporation, and I want access to that network. I can track your username on a website, on a form somewhere, I can track your real name, I can track associations with your friends, and I can build what’s called a fingerprint, which is network activity unique to you, which means anywhere you go in the world, anywhere you try to sort of hide your online presence, hide your identity, the NSA can find you. And, anyone who’s allowed to use this, or who the NSA shares their software with, can do the same thing. Germany is one of the countries that have access to “XKeyscore.”

Interviewer: This sounds rather frightening. The question is, does the BND deliver data of Germans to the NSA?

Snowden: Whether the BND does it directly, or knowingly, the NSA gets German data. Whether it’s provided, I can’t speak to until it’s been reported, because it would be classified. And, I prefer that journalists make the distinctions, and the decisions, about what is public interest and what should be published. However, it’s no secret that every country in the world has the data of their citizens in the NSA. Millions and millions and millions of data connections, from Germans going about their daily lives, talking on their cell phones, sending SMS messages, visiting websites, buying things online, all of this ends up at the NSA. And, it’s reasonable to suspect that the BND may be aware of it in some capacity. Now, whether or not they actively provide the information, I should not say.

Interviewer: The BND basically argues if we do this, we do this accidentally actually, and our filter didn’t work.

Snowden: Right. So, the kind of things that they’re discussing there are two things. They’re talking about filtering of ingest, which means when the NSA puts a secret server in a German telecommunications provider, or they hack a German router and they divert the traffic in a manner that let’s them search through things, they’re saying “if I see what I think is a German talking to another German I’ll drop it.” But, how do you know? You could say “well, these people are speaking the German language, this IP address seems to be from a German company to another German company,” but that’s not accurate, and they wouldn’t dump all of that traffic because they’ll get people who are targets of interest, who are actively in Germany using German communications. So, realistically, what’s happening is when they say “there’s no spying on Germans,” they don’t mean that German data isn’t being gathered, they don’t mean that records aren’t being taken or stolen. What they mean is that they’re not intentionally searching for German citizens. And, that’s sort of a fingers crossed behind the back promise, it’s not reliable.

Interviewer: What about other European countries, like Norway and Sweden for example, because we have a lot of, I think, underwater cables going through the Baltic Sea.

Snowden: So, this is sort of an expansion of the same idea. If the NSA isn’t collecting information on German citizens in Germany, are they as soon as it leaves German borders? And, the answer is “yes.” Any single communication that transits the internet, the NSA may intercept at multiple points. They might see it in Germany, they might see it in Sweden, they might see it in Norway or Finland, they might see it in Britain, and they might see it in the United States. Any single one of these places that a German communication crosses, it’ll be ingested and added to the database.

Interviewer: So, let’s come to our southern European neighbors then. What about Italy? What about France? What about Spain?

Snowden: It’s the same deal worldwide.

Interviewer: Does the NSA spy on Siemens? On Mercedes? On other successful German companies, for example, to prevail, to have the advantage of knowing what is going on in a scientific and economic world?

Snowden: I don’t want to preempt the editorial decisions of journalists.

Interviewer: Ok.

Snowden: But, what I will say is there’s no question that the US is engaged in economic spying. If there’s information at Siemens that they think would be beneficial to the national interests, not the national security of the United States, they’ll go after that information, and they’ll take it.

Interviewer: There is this old saying “you do whatever you can do.” So, the NSA is doing whatever is technically possible.

Snowden: This is something that the President touched on last year, where he said that just because we can do something, and this was in relation to tapping Angela Merkel’s phone. Just because we can do something, doesn’t mean that we should. And, that’s exactly what’s happened. The technological capabilities that have been provided, because of sort of weak security standards in internet protocols and cellular communications networks, have meant that intelligence services can create systems that see everything.

Interviewer: Nothing annoyed the German government more than the fact that the NSA taped the private phone of the German Chancellor Merkel over the last 10 years, obviously. Suddenly this invisible surveillance was connected with a known face and was not connected with a kind of watery, shady terrorist background. Obama now promised to stop snooping on Merkel, which raises the question “did the NSA tape already previous governments, including the previous chancellors, and when did they do that? And, how long did they do this for?”

Snowden: This is a particularly difficult question for me to answer, because there’s information that I very strongly believe is in the public interest. However, as I’ve said before, I prefer for journalists to make those decisions in advance, review the material themselves, and decide whether or not the public value of this information outweighs the sort of reputational cost to the officials that ordered the surveillance. What I can say is we know Angela Merkel was monitored by the National Security Agency. The question is how reasonable is it to assume that she is the only German official that was monitored? How reasonable is it to believe that she’s the only prominent German face who the National Security Agency was watching? I would suggest it seems unreasonable that if anyone was concerned about the intentions of German leadership, that they would only watch Merkel and not her aides, not other prominent officials, not heads of ministries, or even local government officials.

Interviewer: How does a young man from Elizabeth City in North Carolina, 30 years old, get in such a position in such a sensitive area?

Snowden: That’s a very difficult question to answer. In general, I would say it highlights the dangers of privatizing government functions. I worked previously as an actual staff officer, a government employee for the Central Intelligence Agency, but I’ve also served much more frequently as a contractor in a private capacity. What that means is, you have private for-profit companies doing inherently governmental work, like targeted espionage, surveillance, compromising foreign systems. And, anyone who has the skills, who can convince a private company that they have the qualifications to do so, will be empowered by the government to do that, and there’s very little oversight. There’s very little review.

Interviewer: Have you been one of these classical computer kids sitting red eyed during the nights in the age of 12, 15, and your father was knocking on your door and saying “switch off the light, it’s too late now?” Did you get your computer skills from that side? Or, when did you get your first computer?

Snowden: (laughter) Right, right. I definitely have had a, shall we say, a deep informal education in computers and electronic technology. They’ve always been fascinating and interesting to me. (laughter) The characterization of having your parents telling you to go to bed, I would say is fair.

Interviewer: If one looks to the little public data of your life, one discovers that you, obviously, wanted to join in May 2004, the Special Forces to fight in Iraq. What did motivate you at the time? You know, Special Forces, looking at you in the very moment, means grim fighting, and it means probably killing. And, did you ever get to Iraq?

Snowden: No, I didn’t get to Iraq. One of the interesting things about the Special Forces are that they’re not actually intended for direct combat. They’re what’s referred to as “a force multiplier.” They’re inserted behind enemy lines. It’s a squad that has a number of different specialties in it, and they teach and enable the local population to resist, or to support, US forces in a way that allows the local population a chance to help determine their own destiny. And, I felt that was an inherently noble thing at the time. In hindsight, some of the reasons that we went into Iraq were not well founded. And, I think did a disservice to everyone involved.

Interviewer: What happened to your adventure then? Did you stay long with them? Or, what happened to you?

Snowden: No, I broke my legs when I was in training and was discharged.

Interviewer: So it was a short adventure in other words?

Snowden: It was a short adventure.

Interviewer: In 2007 the CIA stationed you with a diplomatic cover in Geneva, in Switzerland. Why did you join the CIA by the way?

Snowden: I don’t think I can actually answer that one.

Interviewer: OK, if it’s what you have been doing there, forget it. But why did you join the CIA?

Snowden: In many ways I think it’s a continuation of trying to do everything I could to prosecute the public good in the most effective way. And, it’s in line with the rest of my government service where I tried to use my technical skills in the most difficult positions I could find in the world, and the CIA offered that.

Interviewer: If we go back, Special Forces, CIA, NSA, it’s not actually in the description of a human rights activist, or somebody who becomes a whistleblower after this. What happens to you?

Snowden: I think it tells a story, and that’s, no matter how deeply an individual is embedded in the government, no matter how faithful to the government they are, no matter how strongly they believe in the causes of their government, as I did during the Iraq war, people can learn, people can discover the line between appropriate government behavior and actual wrongdoing. And, I think it became clear to me that that line had been crossed.

Interviewer: You worked for the NSA through a private contractor with the name Booze Allen Hamilton, one of the big ones in the business. What is the advantage for the US Government, or the CIA, to work through a private contractor, to outsource a central government function?

Snowden: The contracting culture of the national security community in the United States is a complex topic. It’s driven by a number of interests between primarily limiting the number of direct government employees at the same time as keeping lobbying groups in Congress, typically from very well funded businesses such as Booze Allen Hamilton. The problem there is you end up in a situation where government policies are being influenced by private corporations who have interests that are completely divorced from the public good in mind. The result of that is what we saw at Booze Allen Hamilton, where you have private individuals who have access to, what the government alleges were millions and millions of records that they could walk out the door with at any time with no accountability, no oversight, no auditing, the government didn’t even know they were gone.

Interviewer: At the very end you ended up in Russia. Many of the intelligence communities suspect you made a deal, classified material for Asylum here in Russia.

Snowden: The Chief of the Task Force investigating me, as recently as December, said that their investigation had turned up no evidence, or indications at all, that I had any outside help, or contact, or had made a deal of any kind to accomplish my mission. I worked alone. I didn’t need anybody’s help. I don’t have any ties to foreign governments. I’m not a spy for Russia, or China, or any other country for that matter. If I am a traitor, who did I betray? I gave all of my information to the American public, to American journalists, who are reporting on American issues. If they see that as treason, I think people really need to consider who do they think they’re working for. The public is supposed to be their boss, not their enemy. Beyond that, as far as my personal safety, I’ll never be fully safe until these systems have changed.

Interviewer: After your revelations, none of the European countries really offered you asylum. Where did you apply in Europe for asylum?

Snowden: I can’t remember the list of countries with any specificity because there were many of them. But, France, Germany were definitely in there, as was the UK. A number of European countries, all of whom, unfortunately, felt that doing the right thing was less important than supporting US political concerns.

Interviewer: One reaction to the NSA snooping is in the very moment that countries like Germany are thinking to create national internets, an attempt to force internet companies to keep their data in their own country. Does this work?

Snowden: It’s not gonna stop the NSA. Let’s put it that way. The NSA goes where the data is. If the NSA can pull text messages out of telecommunication networks in China, they can probably manage to get Facebook messages out of Germany. Ultimately, the solution to that is not to try to stick everything in a walled garden, although that does raise the level of sophistication and complexity of taking the information. It’s also much better simply to secure the information internationally against everyone, rather than playing ‘let’s move the data.’ Moving the data isn’t fixing the problem. Securing the data is the problem.

Interviewer: President Obama, in the very moment, obviously doesn’t care too much about the message of the leak. And, together with the NSA, they do care very much more about catching the messenger in that context. Obama asked the Russian president several times to extradite you. But Putin did not. It looks that you will stay to the rest of your life, probably in Russia. How do you feel about Russia in that context, and is there a solution to this problem.

Snowden: I think it’s becoming increasingly clear that these leaks didn’t cause harm, in fact, they served the public good. Because of that, I think it will be very difficult to maintain sort of an ongoing campaign of persecution against someone who the public agrees serve the public interest.

Interviewer: The New York Times wrote a very long comment, and demanded clemency for you. The headline “Edward Snowden Whistleblower,” and I quote from that, “the public learned in great detail how the agency has extended its mandate and abused its authority.” And, the New York Times closes, “President Obama should tell his aides to begin finding a way to end Mr. Snowden’s vilification, and give him an incentive to return home.” Did you get a call in between from the White House?

Snowden: I’ve never received a call from the White House, and I am not waiting by the phone. But, I would welcome the opportunity to talk about how we can bring this to a conclusion that serves the interest of all parties. I think it’s clear there are times where what is lawful is distinct from what is rightful. There are times throughout history and it doesn’t take long for, either an American, or a German, to think about times in the history of their country where the law provided the government to do things which were not right.

Interviewer: President Obama, obviously, is in the very moment not quite convinced of that, because he said to you are charged with three felonies. And, I quote, “if you, Edward Snowden, believe in what you did, you should go back to America, appear before the court with a lawyer and make your case.” Is this the solution?

Snowden: It’s interesting because he mentions three felonies. What he doesn’t say is that the crimes that he’s charged me with are crimes that don’t allow me to make my case. They don’t allow me to defend myself in an open court to the public and convince a jury that what I did was to their benefit. The Espionage Act was never intended, it’s from 1918, it was never intended to prosecute journalistic sources, people who are informing the newspapers about information that’s of public interest. It was intended for people who are selling documents in secret to foreign governments, who are bombing bridges, who are sabotaging communications, not people who are serving the public good. So, it’s, I would say, illustrative that the president would choose to say someone should face the music when he knows the music is a show trial.

www.pilotsfor911truth.org
www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
www.radio4all.net/index.php/contributor/2149
http://utangente.free.fr/2003/media2003.pdf
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
https://37.220.108.147/members/www.bilderberg.org/phpBB2/
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Victims Of GCHQ's Denial Of Service Attacks Start Asking Who Are The Real Criminals?
http://www.techdirt.com/articles/20140205/09440926098/those-convicted- ddos-attacks-uk-wondering-why-gchq-was-allowed-to-ddos-them.shtml
from the doesn't-seem-right dept

Earlier today, we wrote about the latest Snowden docs, in which it was revealed that the UK spy agency, GCHQ, was engaged in DDoS attacks on people participating in Anonymous chats and other events, while also helping to identify certain participants, leading to their eventual arrests and convictions. Basically, it looks like GCHQ was engaged in widespread DDoSing, while at the same time helping to convict some kids for doing their own DDoSing. We've already questioned whether or not GCHQ is even supposed to be doing that to UK citizens (they're supposed to be focused on foreign targets), but some of those convicted are already questioning how it's right that they were convicted of the same thing that the GCHQ itself was doing to them.

Chris Weatherhead was sentenced to 18 months in prison for participating in a DDoS against Paypal, Mastercard and Visa (one of the first big Anonymous DDoS attacks, in response to those 3 companies cutting off payments to Wikileaks). Now he's pointing out that GCHQ was DDoSing his own servers, and he wonders how that's right:
Meanwhile, another Anonymous participant, Jake Davis, who was arrested and banned from the internet seems equally angry about things for pretty good reasons:
Davis has also written a long piece concerning all this that is absolutely worth reading, asking a simple question: who are the real criminals here?
Why do British government spooks so brazenly attempt to inhibit the activities of acephalous online collectives and not, say, the hate-filled Westboro Baptist Church, or chat networks that encourage racism or paedophilia?

Or maybe the more important question: how can they even be permitted to launch these attacks at all? There's no justification for how nonchalant a democratic government can be when they breach the very computer misuse rules they strongly pushed to set in place.

When we look at what Western governments are doing - snooping on our emails, infecting our computers, intercepting our phone communications, following our avatars around in online games, backdooring our public encryption, discrediting our Internet viewing habits, encouraging illicit activity and even engaging in their own illicit activity - we have to ask ourselves: who are the real criminals here?
Others have similarly wondered if GCHQ is going to have to face charges over this, given that these actions appear to be entirely outside of its mandate and mission, and seem more compelled by just general dislike of some kids messing around.

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
"The maintenance of secrets acts like a psychic poison which alienates the possessor from the community" Carl Jung
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

German broadcaster Nord Deutsche Rundfunk (NDR)
Hubert Seipel interviews
Ex-NSA Edward Snowden
2nd Feb 2014

Discussed and analysed by
Tony Gosling Martin Summers
www.thisweek.org.uk
BCfm 7th Feb 2014

Link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pgNEsSz54I

Interview with Edward Snowden by German TV network NDR:
the privatisation of the security services and the dangers of this; the NSA and violations of authorisations; mass surveillance; NSA, GCHQ and BND are close; economic spying. Edwin Black’s ‘IBM and the Holocaust’ and the danger of mass government data trawls and the laws put in place to stop it. GCHQ and illegal Distributed Denial of Dervice (DDoS) cyber attacks against protesters who have not broken the law. US bases in Britain under question by Tom Watson and the House of Lords after 50 years because they may be being used for illegal surveillance and drone killings.
http://politicsthisweek.wordpress.com/2014/02/07/35161/

If we go back Special Forces, CIA, NSA, it’s not actually in the description of a human rights activist or somebody who becomes a whistleblower after this. What happens to you?
I think it tells a story and that’s no matter how deeply an individual is embedded in the government, no matter how faithful to the government they are, no matter how strongly they believe in the causes of their government as I did during the Iraq war, people can learn, people can discover the line between appropriate government behaviour and actual wrongdoing and I think it became clear to me that that line had been crossed.
You worked for the NSA through a private contractor with the name Booze Allen Hamilton, one of the big ones in the business. What is the advantage for the US Government or the CIA to work through a private contractor to outsource a central government function?
The contracting culture of the national security community in the United States is a complex topic. It’s driven by a number of interests between primarily limiting the number of direct government employees at the same time as keeping lobbying groups in Congress typically from very well funded businesses such as Booze Allen Hamilton. The problem there is you end up in a situation where government policies are being influenced by private corporations who have interests that are completely divorced from the public good in mind. The result of that is what we saw at Booze Allen Hamilton where you have private individuals who have access to what the government alleges were millions and millions of records that they could walk out the door with at any time with no accountability, no oversight, no auditing, the government didn’t even know they were gone.

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Official Snowden support site based - appropriately - in Atlantis - or Iceland
http://www.freesnowden.is

Edward Snowden is a 30 year old US citizen, former Intelligence Community officer and whistleblower. The documents he revealed provided a vital public window into the NSA and its international intelligence partners’ secret mass surveillance programs and capabilities. These revelations generated unprecedented attention around the world on privacy intrusions and digital security, leading to a global debate on the issue.

Snowden worked in various roles within the US Intelligence Community, including serving undercover for the CIA overseas. He most recently worked as an infrastructure analyst at the NSA, through a Booz Allen Hamilton contract, when he left his home and family in Hawaii to blow the whistle in May 2013. After travelling to Hong Kong, Snowden revealed documents to the American public on the NSA’s mass surveillance programs, which were shown to be operating without any public oversight and outside the limits of the US Constitution. The US government has charged Snowden with theft of government property, and two further charges under the 1917 Espionage Act. Each charge carries a maximum 10-year prison sentence.

With the US pursuing his extradition, Snowden is now in Russia, where he was formally granted asylum on 1 August 2013. Journalists continue to publish documents from Snowden that reveal the secret and unaccountable systems of modern global surveillance.

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chancellor Angela Merkel of Germany has announced plans to set up a European communications network as part of a broad counter-espionage offensive designed to curb mass surveillance conducted by the US National Security Agency and its British counterpart, GCHQ.
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/angela-merkel-proposes- european-network-to-beat-nsa-spying-9132388.html

The move is her government’s first tangible response to public and political indignation over NSA and GCHQ spying in Europe, which was exposed last October with revelations that the US had bugged Ms Merkel’s mobile phone and that MI6 operated a listening post from the British Embassy in Berlin.

Announcing the project in her weekly podcast, Ms Merkel said she envisaged setting up a European communications network which would offer protection from NSA surveillance by side-stepping the current arrangement whereby emails and other internet data automatically pass through the United States.

The NSA’s German phone and internet surveillance operation is reported to be one of the biggest in the EU. In co-operation with GCHQ it has direct access to undersea cables carrying transatlantic communications between Europe and the US.

Ms Merkel said she planned to discuss the project with the French President, François Hollande, when she meets him in Paris on Wednesday. “Above all we’ll talk about European providers that offer security to our citizens, so that one shouldn’t have to send emails and other information across the Atlantic,” she said. “Rather one could build up a communications network inside Europe.”

French government officials responded by saying Paris intended to “take up” the German initiative.

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet to Manipulate, Deceive, and Destroy Reputations
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/02/24/jtrig-manipulation/
By Glenn Greenwald24 Feb 2014, 6:25 PM EST673

Featured photo - How Covert Agents Infiltrate the Internet to MA page from a GCHQ top secret document prepared by its secretive JTRIG unit

One of the many pressing stories that remains to be told from the Snowden archive is how western intelligence agencies are attempting to manipulate and control online discourse with extreme tactics of deception and reputation-destruction. It’s time to tell a chunk of that story, complete with the relevant documents.

Over the last several weeks, I worked with NBC News to publish a series of articles about “dirty trick” tactics used by GCHQ’s previously secret unit, JTRIG (Joint Threat Research Intelligence Group). These were based on four classified GCHQ documents presented to the NSA and the other three partners in the English-speaking “Five Eyes” alliance. Today, we at the Intercept are publishing another new JTRIG document, in full, entitled “The Art of Deception: Training for Online Covert Operations.”

By publishing these stories one by one, our NBC reporting highlighted some of the key, discrete revelations: the monitoring of YouTube and Blogger, the targeting of Anonymous with the very same DDoS attacks they accuse “hacktivists” of using, the use of “honey traps” (luring people into compromising situations using sex) and destructive viruses. But, here, I want to focus and elaborate on the overarching point revealed by all of these documents: namely, that these agencies are attempting to control, infiltrate, manipulate, and warp online discourse, and in doing so, are compromising the integrity of the internet itself.

Among the core self-identified purposes of JTRIG are two tactics: (1) to inject all sorts of false material onto the internet in order to destroy the reputation of its targets; and (2) to use social sciences and other techniques to manipulate online discourse and activism to generate outcomes it considers desirable. To see how extremist these programs are, just consider the tactics they boast of using to achieve those ends: “false flag operations” (posting material to the internet and falsely attributing it to someone else), fake victim blog posts (pretending to be a victim of the individual whose reputation they want to destroy), and posting “negative information” on various forums. Here is one illustrative list of tactics from the latest GCHQ document we’re publishing today:

[]
[]
Other tactics aimed at individuals are listed here, under the revealing title “discredit a target”:

[]
Then there are the tactics used to destroy companies the agency targets:

[]
[]
GCHQ describes the purpose of JTRIG in starkly clear terms: “using online techniques to make something happen in the real or cyber world,” including “information ops (influence or disruption).”

[]
[]
Critically, the “targets” for this deceit and reputation-destruction extend far beyond the customary roster of normal spycraft: hostile nations and their leaders, military agencies, and intelligence services. In fact, the discussion of many of these techniques occurs in the context of using them in lieu of “traditional law enforcement” against people suspected (but not charged or convicted) of ordinary crimes or, more broadly still, “hacktivism”, meaning those who use online protest activity for political ends.

The title page of one of these documents reflects the agency’s own awareness that it is “pushing the boundaries” by using “cyber offensive” techniques against people who have nothing to do with terrorism or national security threats, and indeed, centrally involves law enforcement agents who investigate ordinary crimes:

[]
[]

No matter your views on Anonymous, “hacktivists” or garden-variety criminals, it is not difficult to see how dangerous it is to have secret government agencies being able to target any individuals they want – who have never been charged with, let alone convicted of, any crimes – with these sorts of online, deception-based tactics of reputation destruction and disruption. There is a strong argument to make, as Jay Leiderman demonstrated in the Guardianin the context of the Paypal 14 hacktivist persecution, that the “denial of service” tactics used by hacktivists result in (at most) trivial damage (far less than the cyber-warfare tactics favored by the US and UK) and are far more akin to the type of political protest protected by the First Amendment.

The broader point is that, far beyond hacktivists, these surveillance agencies have vested themselves with the power to deliberately ruin people’s reputations and disrupt their online political activity even though they’ve been charged with no crimes, and even though their actions have no conceivable connection to terrorism or even national security threats. As Anonymous expert Gabriella Coleman of McGill University told me, “targeting Anonymous and hacktivists amounts to targeting citizens for expressing their political beliefs, resulting in the stifling of legitimate dissent.” Pointing to this study she published, Professor Coleman vehemently contested the assertion that “there is anything terrorist/violent in their actions.”

Government plans to monitor and influence internet communications, and covertly infiltrate online communities in order to sow dissension and disseminate false information, have long been the source of speculation. Harvard Law Professor Cass Sunstein, a close Obama adviser and the White House’s former head of the Office of Information and Regulatory Affairs, wrote a controversial paper in 2008 proposing that the US government employ teams of covert agents and pseudo-”independent” advocates to “cognitively infiltrate” online groups and websites, as well as other activist groups.

Sunstein also proposed sending covert agents into “chat rooms, online social networks, or even real-space groups” which spread what he views as false and damaging “conspiracy theories” about the government. Ironically, the very same Sunstein was recently named by Obama to serve as a member of the NSA review panel created by the White House, one that – while disputing key NSA claims – proceeded to propose many cosmetic reforms to the agency’s powers (most of which were ignored by the President who appointed them).

But these GCHQ documents are the first to prove that a major western government is using some of the most controversial techniques to disseminate deception online and harm the reputations of targets. Under the tactics they use, the state is deliberately spreading lies on the internet about whichever individuals it targets, including the use of what GCHQ itself calls “false flag operations” and emails to people’s families and friends. Who would possibly trust a government to exercise these powers at all, let alone do so in secret, with virtually no oversight, and outside of any cognizable legal framework?

Then there is the use of psychology and other social sciences to not only understand, but shape and control, how online activism and discourse unfolds. Today’s newly published document touts the work of GCHQ’s “Human Science Operations Cell,” devoted to “online human intelligence” and “strategic influence and disruption”:

[]

[]

Under the title “Online Covert Action”, the document details a variety of means to engage in “influence and info ops” as well as “disruption and computer net attack,” while dissecting how human beings can be manipulated using “leaders,” “trust,” “obedience” and “compliance”:

[]

[]

[]

[]

The documents lay out theories of how humans interact with one another, particularly online, and then attempt to identify ways to influence the outcomes – or “game” it:

[]

[]

[]

We submitted numerous questions to GCHQ, including: (1) Does GCHQ in fact engage in “false flag operations” where material is posted to the Internet and falsely attributed to someone else?; (2) Does GCHQ engage in efforts to influence or manipulate political discourse online?; and (3) Does GCHQ’s mandate include targeting common criminals (such as boiler room operators), or only foreign threats?

As usual, they ignored those questions and opted instead to send their vague and nonresponsive boilerplate: “It is a longstanding policy that we do not comment on intelligence matters. Furthermore, all of GCHQ’s work is carried out in accordance with a strict legal and policy framework which ensures that our activities are authorised, necessary and proportionate, and that there is rigorous oversight, including from the Secretary of State, the Interception and Intelligence Services Commissioners and the Parliamentary Intelligence and Security Committee. All our operational processes rigorously support this position.”

These agencies’ refusal to “comment on intelligence matters” – meaning: talk at all about anything and everything they do – is precisely why whistleblowing is so urgent, the journalism that supports it so clearly in the public interest, and the increasingly unhinged attacks by these agencies so easy to understand. Claims that government agencies are infiltrating online communities and engaging in “false flag operations” to discredit targets are often dismissed as conspiracy theories, but these documents leave no doubt they are doing precisely that.

Whatever else is true, no government should be able to engage in these tactics: what justification is there for having government agencies target people – who have been charged with no crime – for reputation-destruction, infiltrate online political communities, and develop techniques for manipulating online discourse? But to allow those actions with no public knowledge or accountability is particularly unjustifiable.

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk

Last edited by TonyGosling on Fri Feb 28, 2014 12:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yahoo webcam images from millions of users intercepted by GCHQ
• Optic Nerve program collected Yahoo webcam images in bulk
• 1.8m users targeted by UK agency in six-month period alone
• Yahoo: 'A whole new level of violation of our users' privacy'
• Material included large quantity of sexually explicit images

Spencer Ackerman and James Ball theguardian.com, Thursday 27 February 2014 16.16 GMT
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/27/gchq-nsa-webcam-images-in ternet-yahoo
The GCHQ program saved one image every five minutes from the users' feeds. Photograph: Chris Jackson/Getty Images
Britain's surveillance agency GCHQ, with aid from the US National Security Agency, intercepted and stored the webcam images of millions of internet users not suspected of wrongdoing, secret documents reveal.

GCHQ files dating between 2008 and 2010 explicitly state that a surveillance program codenamed Optic Nerve collected still images of Yahoo webcam chats in bulk and saved them to agency databases, regardless of whether individual users were an intelligence target or not.

In one six-month period in 2008 alone, the agency collected webcam imagery – including substantial quantities of sexually explicit communications – from more than 1.8 million Yahoo user accounts globally.

Yahoo reacted furiously to the webcam interception when approached by the Guardian. The company denied any prior knowledge of the program, accusing the agencies of "a whole new level of violation of our users' privacy".

GCHQ does not have the technical means to make sure no images of UK or US citizens are collected and stored by the system, and there are no restrictions under UK law to prevent Americans' images being accessed by British analysts without an individual warrant.

The documents also chronicle GCHQ's sustained struggle to keep the large store of sexually explicit imagery collected by Optic Nerve away from the eyes of its staff, though there is little discussion about the privacy implications of storing this material in the first place....

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The system, eerily reminiscent of the telescreens evoked in George Orwell's 1984, was used for experiments in automated facial recognition, to monitor GCHQ's existing targets, and to discover new targets of interest. Such searches could be used to try to find terror suspects or criminals making use of multiple, anonymous user IDs.

Yahoo webcam images from millions of users intercepted by GCHQ
• Optic Nerve program collected Yahoo webcam images in bulk
• 1.8m users targeted by UK agency in six-month period alone
• Yahoo: 'A whole new level of violation of our users' privacy'
• Material included large quantity of sexually explicit images

Spencer Ackerman and James Ball theguardian.com, Thursday 27 February 2014 16.16 GMT
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/27/gchq-nsa-webcam-images-in ternet-yahoo
The GCHQ program saved one image every five minutes from the users' feeds. Photograph: Chris Jackson/Getty Images
Britain's surveillance agency GCHQ, with aid from the US National Security Agency, intercepted and stored the webcam images of millions of internet users not suspected of wrongdoing, secret documents reveal.

GCHQ files dating between 2008 and 2010 explicitly state that a surveillance program codenamed Optic Nerve collected still images of Yahoo webcam chats in bulk and saved them to agency databases, regardless of whether individual users were an intelligence target or not.

In one six-month period in 2008 alone, the agency collected webcam imagery – including substantial quantities of sexually explicit communications – from more than 1.8 million Yahoo user accounts globally.

Yahoo reacted furiously to the webcam interception when approached by the Guardian. The company denied any prior knowledge of the program, accusing the agencies of "a whole new level of violation of our users' privacy".

GCHQ does not have the technical means to make sure no images of UK or US citizens are collected and stored by the system, and there are no restrictions under UK law to prevent Americans' images being accessed by British analysts without an individual warrant.

The documents also chronicle GCHQ's sustained struggle to keep the large store of sexually explicit imagery collected by Optic Nerve away from the eyes of its staff, though there is little discussion about the privacy implications of storing this material in the first place....

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
outsider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'What you're not being told about Booz Allen Hamilton and Edward Snowden':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xcbi5SH27c

Serious case of revolving doors - Mega-Bucks.

outsider

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indonesia, Australia and the Edward Snowden Legacy: Shifting asymmetries of power:
http://www.japanfocus.org/-Richard-Tanter/4088

'A near perfect storm has descended on Australian relations with its nominal strategic partner and largest neighbour, Indonesia, to the point where the Indonesian foreign minister, standing beside John Kerry in Jakarta, said it was “very simple.” “Australia must decide if Indonesia is a friend or an enemy”...'

Further indication, if it were necessary, that Snowden is genuine; his revelations have caused ructions with Indonesia and Australia...

Whitehall_Bin_Men
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Targeting Dissent is the Real Purpose of
NSA Programs
By Donn Marten (about the author)
March 16, 2014 at 11:10:51
America - We're Number One!
(image by DonkeyHotey )
These programs were never about terrorism:
they're about economic spying, social control, and
diplomatic manipulation. They're about power.
-Edward Snowden
When Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia
briefly let the mask slip during recent comments
to University of Hawaii law students it was a
rare moment of openness as to reveal the
pathology of the leadership class here in The
Homeland . During an exchange over a World
War II era case involving Japanese Americans
who were rounded up and placed in internment
camps such as the infamous Manzanar Scalia
stated that ""you are kidding yourself if you think
the same thing will not happen again" and "In
times of war, the laws fall silent." Times of war
such as the permanent war on terror that is now
in its thirteenth year running and still picking up
steam, especially so with the rampage towards a
newly rebooted Cold War. With the ultimatums of
Kerry and Obama, goaded on by a corrupt media
with an insatiable thirst for blood and a resurgent
neocon menace we now stand on the edge of
great peril as the oppressive apparatus of the
power of Leviathan that has been exposed by
NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden will find
refuge in the climate of paranoia and fear that will
be triggered anew. Time is short and we all must
do our part to now apply immense pressure to
ensure that the illegal programs of the
surveillance state are exposed before the hydra is
allowed to reconfigure behind the looming war to
end all wars.

http://www.opednews.com/populum/pagem.php?f=Targeting-Dissent-is-the-R -by-Donn-Marten-American-Facism_American-Foreign-Policy_Bush-Failed-Po licy-International_Controlled-Media-140316-930.html

http://aanirfan.blogspot.com
Martin Van Creveld: Let me quote General Moshe Dayan: "Israel must be like a mad dog, too dangerous to bother."
Martin Van Creveld: I'll quote Henry Kissinger: "In campaigns like this the antiterror forces lose, because they don't win, and the rebels win by not losing."
outsider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are a couple of online petitions re Snowden:

http://rootsaction.org/
'Mr. President, Mr. Attorney General, Hands Off Edward Snowden!' &
'Reinstate Edward Snowden's Passport!'

TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why NSA spying is breaking UK law
Kevin Cahill
http://www.computerweekly.com/opinion/Why-NSA-spying-is-breaking-UK-la w

The show is over. The fat lady has finally sung. The fat lady, in this case, is a former White House lawyer, Rajesh De, now the senior legal counsel for the US National Security Agency (NSA).

Last week, De told a statutory body of the US government, the Privacy and Civil Liberties Oversight Board (PCLOB), that the so-called Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act (Fisa) corporations – a collection of US companies that were made subject to secret court orders to spy on their customers outside the US – had indeed done just that.

He specified a particular NSA programme called Prism, which required the companies to obtain and pass on to the NSA all the data they had on their customers to the American spooks. This is something the companies have strenuously denied, with some, such as Apple, claiming that they had never heard of Prism.

De said differently. He said they had acted on the orders of the Fisa courts, which are secret, and had done so knowingly.
US companies ordered to spy on customers

This is how De put it to James X Dempsey, a PCLOB board member: “Prism is just an internal government term that, as a result of the leaks, became a public term. But collection under this programme is done pursuant to compulsory legal process that any recipient company would have received.”

James Dempsey: “So they know that their data is being obtained because…”

De: “They would have received legal process to assist the government, yes.”

The Prism programme, first revealed by Edward Snowden – the NSA fugitive living in Russia – and the Guardian, orders specific US high-tech corporations to provide email data, chat, videos, photos, stored data, VoIP, file transfers, video-conferencing, notification of target activity, and online social networking details of their customers to the National Security Agency.

What De is saying is that the companies were ordered to do this by the US government, using a secret court created under the governing legislation, the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act 1978. He is also saying that the named corporations knew what they were doing because they were acting under written court orders.

What De is not saying, and which no one on the board picked up, is that these orders might be lawful in the US, but they are certainly illegal and possibly criminal everywhere else in the world, particularly the UK.
Spying a crime

The chairman of the PCLOB, David Modine, a lawyer, put it like this: “This law (Fisa) permits the government to target non-US persons – someone who is not a citizen or a permanent resident alien – located outside the US for foreign intelligence purposes without obtaining a specific warrant for such targets.”

But he did not address the issue of forcing US corporations and their staff to do that targeting in other countries, such as the UK.

US law does not run outside US territory. A law made in the US that says “thou shalt thieve and steal abroad” has no validity in the UK, or anywhere else. The thefts ordered by the Fisa Courts are, for the most part, illegal in the UK, under the Data Protection Act, the Human Rights Act section 8 and the Official Secrets Act. Pleading Fisa is no defence in a UK court.

The PCLOB session minutes amount to the public record of a criminal conspiracy to spy on other nations by forcing commercial companies to do the dirty work.

There was no input from the nine corporations listed as being part of the Prism programme, although each was approached for comment by email for Computer Weekly.

And it is quite possible that the entire Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act is unconstitutional in the US. While all the discussion in America has been about Fisa spying on Americans in the US, none of the discussion has addressed the issue of how the orders given to the companies could be legally executed in countries outside the US. Or how US corporations and citizens could be legally ordered to commit crimes in other countries, for which they would be liable if caught.
Unanswered questions

So why have the affected American corporations not gone to the US Supreme Court to challenge this law that makes them criminals abroad?

We are waiting for the answer.

A recent report on US high-tech business in China over the past 12 months shows a fall of 23% in sales over Fisa concerns. IBM, not a Fisa-listed company, was one of the worst affected.

What the minutes of PCLOB show are a group of people living entirely in a world of their own. The US government has, for the past three or four years, run an aggressive campaign against China, accusing China of being the world’s worst hacker. What the minutes of the PCLOB meeting show is that the worst hacker in the world was the US government itself, acting through a law that seeks to legitimise criminality around the world, and may even be unconstitutional in the US.

The companies listed in the Fisa memos, published on 6 and 7 June 2013 by the Guardian, are Microsoft, Google, Yahoo, Facebook, Paltalk, YouTube, Skype, AOL and Apple.

Kevin Cahill is a journalist and former systems analyst with a special interest in supercomputers.

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
scienceplease 2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting

http://gawker.com/watch-edward-snowden-ask-vladimir-putin-a-question-o n-l-1564178479

Quote:
During a live broadcast on Thursday, Russian President Vladimir Putin finally admitted what the world already knew or suspected: that Russian troops entered Crimea before a crucial March referendum. But the true surprise occurred later in the program, when Edward Snowden called in to ask Putin if Russia's surveillance programs were similar to the United States'.

"I've seen little public discussion of Russia's policy of mass surveillance," Snowden said. "So I'd like to ask you: Does Russia intercept, store, or analyze the communication of millions? And do you believe that simply increasing the effectiveness of law enforcement agencies can justify placing societies, rather than individual subjects, under surveillance?"

Putin welcomed Snowden's question, even recognizing him as a sort of colleague.

"Mr. Snowden, you are a former spy. I used to work for an intelligence agency," Putin said. "We can talk one professional language."

"First of all, our intelligence efforts are strictly regulated by our law," he added. "You have to get the court's permission to stalk a person. We don't have a mass system of interception. With our law, it cannot exist. Of course, we know criminals and terrorists use technology for their criminal acts and of course the special services have to use technical means to respond to their crimes. Of course, we do some efforts like that but we do not have mass scale effort. I hope we don't do that. We don't have the money or the kind of devices they have in the United States. Our special services are strictly controlled by the society and the law, and are regulated by the law."

In a more believable and ominous segment of the broadcast, Putin reasserted Russia's right to use force in Ukraine. "I very much hope I will not have to use this right and we will manage to resolve all pressing, not to say, critical contemporary problems of Ukraine with political and diplomatic means," he said.
outsider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Correction to below comment: seems there is some disinfo going around!!

Looks like the correct version of Snowden's leak has Sweet FA to do with Furbies: still, I'll leave my original post below, so you can see how the misinfo merchants work (not me, obviously!)

Senators to investigate NSA role in GCHQ 'Optic Nerve' webcam spying:
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/28/nsa-gchq-webcam-spy-progr am-senate-investigation

I'd rather have 'egg on my face' by leaving my post below, by showing how worried the 'perps' must be to spread such disinfo to discredit the genuine Snowden revelations.
Repeat, post below has been overtaken by 'Further Information'. It has NO VALIDITY.

OK - Hold onto your seats!!!
Snowden Revelation: NSA used Furbies for Domestic Spying: http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/snowden-revelation-nsa-used-furbies-fo r-domestic-spying/

This story needs to go VIRAL big time!

'Thousands of families across the United States could be potential victims of NSA domestic spying.

The cuddly little figures known to most americans as Furbies are accused of being used by NSA for domestic spying of americans.

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden in an interview via Skype this week with popular TV host Adrian Pang of the hit series The Arena, a debate style show based in Singapour, explained how the toys were used to spy on toddlers and help NSA profile american families and their values.

Since 1999, British surveillance agency GCHQ, with help from the NSA, actively spied on nearly 2 million Furby users via webcams and microphones built-in the toys. Leaked documents show that the agency intercepted millions of video images as part of a secret program codenamed OPTIC NERVE.
- See more at: http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/snowden-revelation-nsa-used-furbies-fo r-domestic-spying/#sthash.RhPtvXQB.dpuf Laughing Laughing

TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this a reliable source?
Any evidence Snowden really said this?
I think not

outsider wrote:
Snowden Revelation: NSA used Furbies for Domestic Spying: http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/snowden-revelation-nsa-used-furbies-fo r-domestic-spying/

'Thousands of families across the United States could be potential victims of NSA domestic spying.

The cuddly little figures known to most americans as Furbies are accused of being used by NSA for domestic spying of americans.

NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden in an interview via Skype this week with popular TV host Adrian Pang of the hit series The Arena, a debate style show based in Singapour, explained how the toys were used to spy on toddlers and help NSA profile american families and their values.

Since 1999, British surveillance agency GCHQ, with help from the NSA, actively spied on nearly 2 million Furby users via webcams and microphones built-in the toys. Leaked documents show that the agency intercepted millions of video images as part of a secret program codenamed OPTIC NERVE.
- See more at: http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/snowden-revelation-nsa-used-furbies-fo r-domestic-spying/#sthash.RhPtvXQB.dpuf

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
outsider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyGosling wrote:
Is this a reliable source?
Any evidence Snowden really said this?
I think not

outsider wrote:

- See more at: http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/snowden-revelation-nsa-used-furbies-fo r-domestic-spying/#sthash.RhPtvXQB.dpuf

You were a bit too quick on the mark! I corrected the post very quickly (OK, I should have been more careful, but it does show what the 'Opposition' will do to try to discredit a genuine revelation).

My comment on the 'World News Daily' site:
'Report is a ‘disinfo’ scam, to try to discredit folks who are livid at the report. But the actuality is bad enough (bad enough to bring the scumbag false posters out from under their slimy rocks, and out of the woodwork, to try to derail the revelation). Senators to investigate NSA role in GCHQ ‘Optic Nerve’ webcam spying: http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/feb/28/nsa-gchq-webcam-spy-progr am-senate-investigation - is 'Awaiting moderation'! Embarassed

outsider

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did a bit more digging, and came up with a nugget!
World News Daily Report is an American Jewish Zionist newspaper based in Tel Aviv and dedicated on covering biblical archeology news and other mysteries around the Globe. - See more at: http://worldnewsdailyreport.com/about-us/#sthash.kMViBut3.dpuf

Oy vey! Embarassed

TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice!

Reset the Net is a global movement to take our privacy back and secure the Internet to defend against mass government surveillance. Please join this Thunderclap to help us reach millions of people on June 5th.
http://www.911forum.org.uk/board/viewtopic.php?t=22334
and http://www.resetthenet.org

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
Whitehall_Bin_Men
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Conspiracy Theory To Fact
Warrantless surveillance & Tempora
- the year of #Snowden
@AnnieMachon in @HuffPostUK
http://t.co/2dOY4OoQvE

The Year of Edward Snowden
Posted: 09/06/2014 16:09
Read more
Thomas Drake, William Hague, chelsea manning, Civil Liberties, Democracy, Echelon, edward snowden, GCHQ, Inteligence, NSA, Spies, Surveillance, UK Politics News
http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/annie-machon/edward-snowden_b_5460667. html?just_reloaded=1

A year ago I stumbled across a story about a worrying new surveillance programme developed by the NSA: Prism. While nobody was identified as the source of the disclosure, I was awestruck by the bravery of this unknown person.

At that time the Obama administration had been waging an aggressive war on whistleblowers: ex-CIA officer, John Kiriakou, who exposed the CIA's torture programme, was languishing in prison while the torturers went free; Kirk Wiebe, William Binney and Thomas Drake of the NSA had narrowly escaped prosecution for exposing NSA malfeasance - indeed, despite having gone through all the approved channels, Drake had faced a 35-year prison sentence; and of course the kangaroo court had just started to try Chelsea Manning for her exposure of US war crimes. Inevitably, it is the whistleblower Manning who is now serving a 35 year stretch in prison, not the war criminals.

President Obama has used and abused the 1917 US Espionage Act against whistleblowers during his years in the White House more times than all his predecessors put together, while at the same time allowing a bone fide spy ring - the Russian illegals exposed in 2010 - to return home. This paranoid hunt for the "insider threat" has been going on since at least 2008, as we know from documents leaked to Wikileaks in 2010.

Against this background, fully aware of the hideous risks he was taking and the prospect of the rest of his life behind bars, a young man stepped forward. Four days after the initial Prism disclosure, Edward Snowden announced to the world that he was the source of the story and many more to come. He was clear then about his motivation and he remains clear now in the few interviews he has done since: what he had seen on the inside of the NSA caused him huge concern. The American intelligence infrastructure, along with its equivalent agencies across the world, was constructing a global surveillance network that not only threatened the constitution of the United States, but also eroded the privacy of all the world's citizens.

The global surveillance state wanted to "master the internet", as another disclosure proved, and the UK's GCHQ stepped up to the plate. As increasing numbers of us conduct aspects of our lives over the internet (be it banking, health, social lives, organisations, activism, relationships) this growing lack of privacy strikes at the very root of democracy. Privacy was enshrined as a basic human right in the UN Declaration in 1948 precisely because without it we are vulnerable to the encroachments and abuses of the state. What Snowden has disclosed would the the Stasi's wet dream and goes far beyond the dystopic horrors of George Orwell's novel "1984".

So what did Snowden disclose? Prism was only the start, and that was bad enough - a programme to scoop up all our metadata: whom we're in contact with, for how long, what we're reading, what we're viewing. NSA apologists say that this is not invasive, it is not looking at the contents of communications. I can assure your that metadata is intelligence gold dust. It can provide a far more detailed overview of a person's life than any individual communication often can.

But it gets worse. Then came Tempora and associated documents that disclosed that the UK's GCHQ was mainlining information from the transatlantic fibre optic cables, which affected all European citizens, as well as displaying how GCHQ was prostituting itself to the NSA for money and putting NSA objectives above the priorities of the UK government.

And then XKeyscore, enthusiastically used by Germany's BND, presumably without the knowledge of its political masters. There have been many more: Brazil's Petrobras oil company, the French telephone network, charities, the Muscular access point and the massive Fascia database, which contains trillions of device-location records..... Where to stop?

This year Britain's Joint Threat Research Intelligence Group was using Squeaky Dolphin's real-time monitoring of social media networks, and the bulk collection of private webcam images via the Optic Nerve programme.

This last most grimly does away with the "done nothing wrong, nothing to hide" argument. In this era of families living in different countries and long distance relationships, video skype is increasingly used to stay in contact with loved ones. And this contact can be somewhat intimate at times between couples. On video. Anyone who has ever used skype for such purposes must surely be feeling violated?

Out of this morass of spying came moments of personal annoyance for western politicians, not least the information that German Chancellor Angela Merkel's mobile phone was also being tapped, as were those of numerous other politicians. Which rather blows out of the water the much-abused argument that all this surveillance is to stop terrorists. On what planet would the NSA spooks need to live to seriously think that Merkel could be deemed a terrorist?

All these disclosures are of the gravest public interest. Yet how have western politicians reacted? In the usual way - shoot the messenger. All the standard li(n)es have been trotted out by the spies: Snowden was too junior to know what he is talking about, and was "just" a contracted systems administrator (this line says more the ignorance of the politicians about all things tech than anything about Snowden's job); that Snowden is a traitor for fleeing to Russia, when in fact he was trapped there by the USA withdrawing his passport while in transit to Latin America; or that he should "man up" and return to the US to stand trial. There were even apparently calls from the spies for him to be extrajudicially murdered.

Despite this, his disclosures have resulted in congressional hearings in the US, where senior spooks have been caught out lying about the efficacy of these spy programmes. A US federal judge has declared the NSA's activities unconstitutional, and minor reforms are underway to protect the rights of US citizens within their own country.

Which is a start. However, that still leaves the rest of us living under the baleful gaze of the NSA and its vassals.

The British response has been largely muted, with politicians immediately assuring the grateful citizens of the UK that everything done by the spies is legal and proportionate, when in fact it was manifestly not. Nor is this any consolation for the rest of Europe's citizens - after all, why should the British Foreign Secretary be able to take it upon himself to authorise intercept programmes such as Tempora that sweep up the communications of an entire continent?

Press discussion of Snowden's disclosures in the UK has been largely muted because of a censorship notice slapped on the media, while the Guardian newspaper that helped to break the story had its hard disks smashed up by GCHQ.

Other countries have displayed a more robust response, with Brazil planning to build its own transatlantic cables to Europe to avoid the Tempora programme, and in Germany people have been demanding that the constitution be upheld and privacy ensured against the American surveillance behemoth.

The European parliamentary Civil Liberties, Justice and Home Affairs (LIBE) committee has held months-long hearings with evidence from tech experts, whistleblowers and campaigners about what it should do to protect EU citizens from the predations of the US. Edward Snowden himself gave a statement. This is all well and good, but it would be more helpful if they could give Snowden asylum in Europe and also put in place some meaningful measures to protect our rights one year on - in fact, all they would need to do is enact the provisions of the European parliament's own July 2001 report into the Echelon fiasco.

Echelon, some of you may remember, was a global proto-surveillance network, where the intelligence agencies of the US, UK, New Zealand, Australia, and Canada (now called Five Eyes) could all share product and subvert oversight measures in each others' countries. In 2001 the EU recommended that Europe develop its own internet infrastructure and move away from its dependency on US corporate proprietary software. All good suggestions, but all too soon forgotten after 9/11 and the rush to the "war on terror".

One year on from Snowden I would suggest that these measures should indeed be implemented. The European Parliament needs to take action now and show its 500 million citizens that it is serious about protecting their rights rather than pandering to the demands of the US government and its corporate sponsors.

So, on this anniversary, I want to salute the bravery of Edward Snowden. His conscious courage has given us all a fighting chance against a corporate-industrial-intelligence complex that is running amok across the world. I hope that we can all find within us an answering courage to do what is right and indeed take back our rights. His bravery and sacrifice must not be in vain.

Martin Van Creveld: Let me quote General Moshe Dayan: "Israel must be like a mad dog, too dangerous to bother."
Martin Van Creveld: I'll quote Henry Kissinger: "In campaigns like this the antiterror forces lose, because they don't win, and the rebels win by not losing."
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hacking Online Polls and Other Ways British Spies Seek to Control the Internet
By Glenn Greenwald
14 Jul 2014, 12:38 PM EDT
https://firstlook.org/theintercept/2014/07/14/manipulating-online-poll s-ways-british-spies-seek-control-internet/

GCHQ covert tools manipulate polls & seed internet with politically targeted lies

The secretive British spy agency GCHQ has developed covert tools to seed the internet with false information, including the ability to manipulate the results of online polls, artificially inflate pageview counts on web sites, “amplif[y]” sanctioned messages on YouTube, and censor video content judged to be “extremist.” The capabilities, detailed in documents provided by NSA whistleblower Edward Snowden, even include an old standby for pre-adolescent prank callers everywhere: A way to connect two unsuspecting phone users together in a call.

The tools were created by GCHQ’s Joint Threat Research Intelligence Group (JTRIG), and constitute some of the most startling methods of propaganda and internet deception contained within the Snowden archive. Previously disclosed documents have detailed JTRIG’s use of “fake victim blog posts,” “false flag operations,” “honey traps” and psychological manipulation to target online activists, monitor visitors to WikiLeaks, and spy on YouTube and Facebook users.

But as the U.K. Parliament today debates a fast-tracked bill to provide the government with greater surveillance powers, one which Prime Minister David Cameron has justified as an “emergency” to “help keep us safe,” a newly released top-secret GCHQ document called “JTRIG Tools and Techniques” provides a comprehensive, birds-eye view of just how underhanded and invasive this unit’s operations are. The document—available in full here—is designed to notify other GCHQ units of JTRIG’s “weaponised capability” when it comes to the dark internet arts, and serves as a sort of hacker’s buffet for wreaking online havoc.

The “tools” have been assigned boastful code names. They include invasive methods for online surveillance, as well as some of the very techniques that the U.S. and U.K. have harshly prosecuted young online activists for employing, including “distributed denial of service” attacks and “call bombing.” But they also describe previously unknown tactics for manipulating and distorting online political discourse and disseminating state propaganda, as well as the apparent ability to actively monitor Skype users in real-time—raising further questions about the extent of Microsoft’s cooperation with spy agencies or potential vulnerabilities in its Skype’s encryption. Here’s a list of how JTRIG describes its capabilities:

• “Change outcome of online polls” (UNDERPASS)

• “Mass delivery of email messaging to support an Information Operations campaign” (BADGER) and “mass delivery of SMS messages to support an Information Operations campaign” (WARPARTH)

• “Disruption of video-based websites hosting extremist content through concerted target discovery and content removal.” (SILVERLORD)

• “Active skype capability. Provision of real time call records (SkypeOut and SkypetoSkype) and bidirectional instant messaging. Also contact lists.” (MINIATURE HERO)

• “Find private photographs of targets on Facebook” (SPRING BISHOP)

• “A tool that will permanently disable a target’s account on their computer” (ANGRY PIRATE)

• “Ability to artificially increase traffic to a website” (GATEWAY) and “ability to inflate page views on websites” (SLIPSTREAM)

• “Amplification of a given message, normally video, on popular multimedia websites (Youtube)” (GESTATOR)

• “Targeted Denial Of Service against Web Servers” (PREDATORS FACE) and “Distributed denial of service using P2P. Built by ICTR, deployed by JTRIG” (ROLLING THUNDER)

• “A suite of tools for monitoring target use of the UK auction site eBay (www.ebay.co.uk)” (ELATE)

• “Ability to spoof any email address and send email under that identity” (CHANGELING)

• “For connecting two target phone together in a call” (IMPERIAL BARGE)

While some of the tactics are described as “in development,” JTRIG touts “most” of them as “fully operational, tested and reliable.” It adds: “We only advertise tools here that are either ready to fire or very close to being ready.”

And JTRIG urges its GCHQ colleagues to think big when it comes to internet deception: “Don’t treat this like a catalogue. If you don’t see it here, it doesn’t mean we can’t build it.”

The document appears in a massive Wikipedia-style archive used by GCHQ to internally discuss its surveillance and online deception activities. The page indicates that it was last modified in July 2012, and had been accessed almost 20,000 times.

GCHQ refused to provide any comment on the record beyond its standard boilerplate, in which it claims that it acts “in accordance with a strict legal and policy framework” and is subject to “rigorous oversight.” But both claims are questionable.

British watchdog Privacy International has filed pending legal action against GCHQ over the agency’s use of malware to spy on internet and mobile phone users. Several GCHQ memos published last fall by The Guardian revealed that the agency was eager to keep its activities secret not to protect national security, but because “our main concern is that references to agency practices (ie, the scale of interception and deletion) could lead to damaging public debate which might lead to legal challenges against the current regime.” And an EU parliamentary inquiry earlier this year concluded that GCHQ activities were likely illegal.

As for oversight, serious questions have been raised about whether top national security officials even know what GCHQ is doing. Chris Huhne, a former cabinet minister and member of the national security council until 2012, insisted that ministers were in “utter ignorance” about even the largest GCHQ spying program, known as Tempora—not to mention “their extraordinary capability to hoover up and store personal emails, voice contact, social networking activity and even internet searches.” In an October Guardian op-ed, Huhne wrote that “when it comes to the secret world of GCHQ and the [NSA], the depth of my ‘privileged information’ has been dwarfed by the information provided by Edward Snowden to The Guardian.”

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2014 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An amazing list
So they're not just looking out for terrorists
They're hijacking free association online
Disrupting and overturning anywhere people come together to try and help society

A number of interesting tools and their short descriptions are below:

ASTRAL PROJECTION: Remote GSM secure covert Internet proxy using TOR hidden service
POISON ARROW: Safe malware download capability
AIRWOLF: YouTube profile, comment and video collection
BIRDSTRIKE: Twitter monitoring and profile collection
GLASSBACK: Technique of getting a target's IP address by pretending to be a spammer and ringing them. Target does not need to answer.
MINIATURE HERO: Active skype capability. Provision of realtime call records (SkypeOut and SkypetoSkype) and bidirectional instant messaging. Also contact lists.
PHOTON TORPEDO: A technique to actively grab the IP address of MSN messenger user
SPRING-BISHOP: Finding private photos of targets on Facebook
BOMB BAY: The capacity to increase website hits, rankings
BURLESQUE: The capacity to send spoofed SMS messages
GESTATOR: Amplification of a given message, normally video, on popular multimedia websites (YouTube)
SCRAPHEAP CHALLENGE: Perfect spoofing of emails from Blackberry targets
SUNBLOCK: Ability to deny functionality to send/receive email or view material online
SWAMP DONKEY: A tool that will silently locate all predefined types of file and encrypt them on a targets machine
UNDERPASS: Change outcome of online polls (previously known as NUBILO).
WARPATH: Mass delivery of SMS messages to support an Information Operations campaign.
HUSK: Secure one-on-one web based dead-drop messaging platform.

http://www.zdnet.com/gchqs-dark-arts-leaked-leaked-documents-reveal-on line-manipulation-facebook-and-youtube-snooping-7000031598/

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
outsider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meet the Online Tracking Device That is Virtually Impossible to Block:
http://www.occupy.com/article/meet-online-tracking-device-virtually-im possible-block

'new, extremely persistent type of online tracking is shadowing visitors to thousands of top websites, from WhiteHouse.gov to YouPorn.com.

First documented in a forthcoming paper by researchers at Princeton University and KU Leuven University in Belgium, this type of tracking, called canvas fingerprinting, works by instructing the visitor’s Web browser to draw a hidden image. Because each computer draws the image slightly differently, the images can be used to assign each user’s device a number that uniquely identifies it.

Like other tracking tools, canvas fingerprints are used to build profiles of users based on the websites they visit — profiles that shape which ads, news articles, or other types of content are displayed to them.

But fingerprints are unusually hard to block: They can’t be prevented by using standard Web browser privacy settings or using anti-tracking tools such as AdBlock Plus.

The researchers found canvas fingerprinting computer code, primarily written by a company called AddThis, on 5 percent of the top 100,000 websites. Most of the code was on websites that use AddThis’ social media sharing tools. Other fingerprinters include the German digital marketer Ligatus and the Canadian dating site PlentyofFish. (A list of all the websites on which researchers found the code is here).

Rich Harris, chief executive of AddThis, said that the company began testing canvas fingerprinting earlier this year as a possible way to replace “cookies,” the traditional way that users are tracked, via text files installed on their computers.

“We’re looking for a cookie alternative,” Harris said in an interview.

Harris said the company considered the privacy implications of canvas fingerprinting before launching the test, but decided “this is well within the rules and regulations and laws and policies that we have.”

He added that the company has only used the data collected from canvas fingerprints for internal research and development. The company won’t use the data for ad targeting or personalization if users install the AddThis opt-out cookie on their computers, he said.

Arvind Narayanan, the computer science professor who led the Princeton research team, countered that forcing users to take AddThis at its word about how their data will be used, is “not the best privacy assurance.”

Device fingerprints rely on the fact that every computer is slightly different: Each contains different fonts, different software, different clock settings and other distinctive features. Computers automatically broadcast some of their attributes when they connect to another computer over the Internet.

Tracking companies have long sought to use those differences to uniquely identify devices for online advertising purposes, particularly as Web users are increasingly using ad-blocking software and deleting cookies.

In May 2012, researchers at the University of California, San Diego, noticed that a Web programming feature called “canvas” could allow for a new type of fingerprint — by pulling in different attributes than a typical device fingerprint.

In June, the Tor Project added a feature to its privacy-protecting Web browser to notify users when a website attempts to use the canvas feature and sends a blank canvas image. But other Web browsers did not add notifications for canvas fingerprinting.

A year later, Russian programmer Valentin Vasilyev noticed the study and added a canvas feature to freely available fingerprint code that he had posted on the Internet. The code was immediately popular.

But Vasilyev said that the company he was working for at the time decided against using the fingerprint technology. “We collected several million fingerprints but we decided against using them because accuracy was 90 percent,” he said, “and many of our customers were on mobile and the fingerprinting doesn’t work well on mobile.”

Vasilyev added that he wasn’t worried about the privacy concerns of fingerprinting. “The fingerprint itself is a number which in no way is related to a personality,” he said.

AddThis improved upon Vasilyev’s code by adding new tests and using the canvas to draw a pangram “Cwm fjordbank glyphs vext quiz” — a sentence that uses every letter of the alphabet at least once. This allows the company to capture slight variations in how each letter is displayed.

AddThis said it rolled out the feature to a small portion of the 13 million websites on which its technology appears, but is considering ending its test soon. “It’s not uniquely identifying enough,” Harris said.

AddThis did not notify the websites on which the code was placed because “we conduct R&D projects in live environments to get the best results from testing,” according to a spokeswoman.

She added that the company does not use any of the data it collects — whether from canvas fingerprints or traditional cookie-based tracking — from government websites including WhiteHouse.gov for ad targeting or personalization....'

TonyGosling
Editor
Editor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting new twist on the NSA GCHQ hacking story - it was the Russian Mafia all along!

Questions about Hold Security's motives
http://mashable.com/2014/08/08/does-it-even-matter-if-1-2-billion-pass words-were-stolen/
Why? Well, that's largely because of the way Hold Security disclosed this information thus far.
Almost as soon as the New York Times article went live, journalists at Forbes and The Wall Street Journal, pointed out that Hold Security is will let users (presumably, web services) find out if their data was part of the breach for just $120 a year.
Using a security threat to sell products and services is something that security companies do all the time. It's how the security game works. The problem for some members of the security community, however, is twofold.

The Russian 'hack of the century' doesn't add up
By Russell Brandom on August 6, 2014 09:32 am Email @russellbrandom
http://www.theverge.com/2014/8/6/5973729/the-problem-with-the-new-york -times-biggest-hack-ever
Yesterday, The New York Times dropped an exclusive account of what reporter Nicole Perlroth called "the biggest hack ever." By the numbers it certainly held up: 1.2 billion accounts, covering 500 million unique email addresses over 420,000 websites. The data had been captured by a Russian hacker group called CyberVor, and revealed by Hold Security. But as the smoke clears, the hack seems to be less of a criminal masterwork than the article might have you believe.

HOLD SECURITY IS ALREADY CAPITALIZING ON THE PANIC

The biggest problem, as Forbes's Kashmir Hill and The Wall Street Journal's Danny Yadron have noted, is that Hold Security is already capitalizing on the panic, charging a $120-per-year subscription to anyone who wants to check if their name and password are on the list. Hold says it's just trying to recoup expenses, but there's something unseemly about stoking fears of cybercrime and then asking concerned citizens to pay up. It also gives Hold a clear incentive to lie to reporters about how large and significant the finding is.

Of course, facts are still facts, but even the hard data here is a little strange. If the idea of hacking 1.2 billion usernames sounds incredible, it should. There are just a handful of services with over a billion users — Facebook, Google Search, and Microsoft Office lead the pack — and if any of those were involved, Hold wouldn't be shy about saying so. Instead, this data comes from hundreds of thousands of compromises over the course of months. Comparing it to breaches like Adobe or Target, as Perlroth does repeatedly, simply doesn't make sense.

Over 1.6B passwords stolen by Russian crime gang
By Debra KillaleaAugust 6, 2014 | 12:56am
Modal Trigger
Over 1.6B passwords stolen by Russian crime gang
http://nypost.com/2014/08/06/over-1-6b-passwords-stolen-by-russian-cri me-gang/
More than 1.6 billion internet username and password combinations have been stolen by a Russian crime gang in a massive security breach.
US security firm Hold Security revealed confidential material had been gathered from more than 500 million email addresses and 420,000 websites.
The hackers targeted both big and small websites across the globe, The New York Times reported.
Hold Security has not named the companies which have been targeted as their sites remained “vulnerable”.
However another security expert who analysed the stolen credentials told The Times the breach was authentic.
It is understood some larger companies are aware their records were among the stolen information.
Founder and chief information security officer of Hold Security Alex Holden said the breach was massive and wasn’t confined just to the US.
“Hackers did not just target US companies, they targeted any website they could get, ranging from Fortune 500 companies to very small websites,” he said.
“And most of these sites are still vulnerable.”
The breach has sparked warnings for users to step up their password security details to avoid having their information stolen.
IT security and risk management solutions Sense of Security chief operating officer Murray Goldschmidt said this incident was evidence that users needed to be more vigilant when it came to protecting their personal information.
Mr. Goldschmidt said while it wasn’t known exactly what companies were yet affected, it was a wise idea to change and update passwords regularly, irrespective of this hack.
He added people using shared passwords and credentials across various networks and sites were most at risk of having their information compromised.
“If even one of these passwords are compromised, it’s like a domino effect,“ he told news.com.au.
He said users were at risk of being affected by the hack due to our high use of overseas websites.
“[Users] are frequently engaged in using international websites … so by virtue of being on the internet, there is a risk of credentials being accessed,” he said.
Mr. Goldschmidt advised users to change passwords which are shared and to use strong passwords which had a combination of numbers and letters.
He also said changing them regularly also lessened the risk of vital information being compromised.
It wouldn’t be the first time web users have been affected by a massive security breach.
In May, online giant eBay warned customers to change their passwords after cyber attackers broke into its databases.
Its database was compromised which “included eBay customers’ name, encrypted password, email address, physical address, phone number and date of birth”.
However, financial information or other confidential personal information was not affected.
And in 2012 social network LinkedIn suffered a massive security breach which resulted in the loss of up to millions of encrypted passwords, which could allow hackers to break into subscribers accounts.
The hacked passwords were first posted to a Russian hackers forum, Norway-based tech blog.

www.mp911truth.org
www.ae911truth.org
www.rl911truth.org
www.stj911.org
www.l911t.com
www.v911t.org
www.thisweek.org.uk
www.abolishwar.org.uk
www.elementary.org.uk
Whitehall_Bin_Men
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now the proof
Bush used 9/11 as excuse to permanently destroy civil liberties
There was no legal basis for the decision
Legal memos released on Bush-era justification for warrantless wiretapping.
http://t.co/oWwGo8e01g
http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/national-security/legal-memos-rele ased-on-bush-era-justification-for-warrantless-wiretapping/2014/09/05/ 91b86c52-356d-11e4-9e92-0899b306bbea_story.html

The Justice Department released two decade-old memos Friday night, offering the fullest public airing to date of the Bush administration’s legal justification for the warrantless wiretapping of Americans’ phone calls and e-mails — a program that began in secret after the 2001 terrorist attacks.

The broad outlines of the argument — that the president has inherent constitutional power to monitor Americans’ communications without a warrant in a time of war — were known, but the sweep of the reasoning becomes even clearer in the memos written by then-Assistant Attorney General Jack Goldsmith, who was head of President George W. Bush’s Office of Legal Counsel.

“We conclude only that when the nation has been thrust into an armed conflict by a foreign attack on the United States and the president determines in his role as commander in chief . . . that it is essential for defense against a further foreign attack to use the [wiretapping] capabilities of the [National Security Agency] within the United States, he has inherent constitutional authority” to order warrantless wiretapping — “an authority that Congress cannot curtail,” Goldsmith wrote in a redacted 108-page memo dated May 6, 2004.

The program, code-named Stellar Wind, enabled the NSA to collect communications on U.S. soil when at least one party was believed to be a member of al-Qaeda or an al-Qaeda affiliate, and at least one end of the communication was overseas.

Its existence was revealed in 2005 by the New York Times, setting off great controversy, and the program was finally brought under court oversight in 2007.

“What these memos show is that nearly three years after President Bush authorized the warrantless wiretapping of Americans’ e-mails and phone calls, government lawyers were still struggling to put the program on sound legal footing,” said Patrick Toomey, staff attorney for the American Civil Liberties Union, which obtained the memos through a Freedom of Information Act lawsuit.

The memos were also obtained by the Electronic Privacy Information Center.

Whitehall_Bin_Men
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the young fellow off to Switzerland to testify against the NSA & GCHQ??

http://rt.com/news/185836-switzerland-snowden-testify-extradition/

Whitehall_Bin_Men
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn Greenwald rattles New Zealand with more Snowden 'spying' claims
http://www.blacklistednews.com/Glenn_Greenwald_rattles_New_Zealand_wit h_‘spying’_claims/37908/0/38/38/Y/M.html
http://t.co/nbYLALyzuo

Whitehall_Bin_Men
Validated Poster
Validated Poster

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowden: UK's surveillance is even worse than NSA, UK media doing "a disservice to the public" by not reporting
http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/oct/12/snowden-state-surveillanc e-britain-no-limits
http://t.co/PEtlGpIAwm
Edward Snowden: state
surveillance in Britain has
no limits
Whistleblower and former NSA analyst
says UK regulation allows GCHQ
snooping to go beyond anything seen in
US
John Naughton interviews Edward Snowden via
Skype at the Observer Festival of Ideas
Photograph: Alicia Canter For The Guardian for
the Guardian
Surveillance Edward Snowden GCHQ
UK news
Carole Cadwalladr
Sunday 12 October 2014 19.44 BST
The UK authorities are operating a
surveillance system where “anything
goes” and their interceptions are more
intrusive to people’s privacy than has
been seen in the US, Edward Snowden
said.
Speaking via Skype at the Observer
Ideas festival, held in central London,
the whistleblower and former National
Security Agency specialist, said there
were “really no limits” to the GCHQ’s
surveillance capabilities.
He said: “In the UK … is the system of
regulation where anything goes. They
collect everything that might be
interesting. It’s up to the government to
justify why it needs this. It’s not up to
you to justify why it doesn’t … This is
where the danger is, when we think
about … evidence being gathered
against us but we don’t have the
opportunity to challenge that in courts.
It undermines the entire system of
justice.”
He also said he thought that the lack of
coverage by the UK papers of the story,
or the hostile coverage of it, other than
by the Guardian, “did a disservice to the
public”.
His appearance at the festival on
Sunday marked the end of a weekend of
almost frenetic social activity by his
highly reclusive standards: he appeared
at two public events and was the absent
star of Laura Poitras’ documentary,
Citizenfour, which premiered in New
York on Friday.
Collectively, the events revealed a more
rounded, human, portrait of the former
NSA analyst than had been seen before,
and offered a few telling glimpses of
what his life was now like in Moscow.
The coverage revealed that Snowden
does not drink alcohol, has never been
drunk, and that he misses his “old beat-
up car”. He also revealed that he has got
a job, working on “a very significant
grant for a foundation” on a project
“for the benefit of the press and
journalists working in threatened
areas”....

outsider

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitehall_Bin_Men wrote:
Glenn Greenwald rattles New Zealand with more Snowden 'spying' claims
http://www.blacklistednews.com/Glenn_Greenwald_rattles_New_Zealand_wit h_‘spying’_claims/37908/0/38/38/Y/M.html
http://t.co/nbYLALyzuo

link doesn't work; this does:
http://www.blacklistednews.com/Glenn_Greenwald_rattles_New_Zealand_wit h_%E2%80%98spying%E2%80%99_claims/37908/0/38/38/Y/M.html

Post new topic   Reply to topic    9/11, 7/7 & the War on Freedom Forum Index -> 9/11 & 7/7 Truth News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: